The 2021 EASL-AASLD Masterclass provides a unique educational collaboration of clinical, basic, and translational scientists from leading academic medical institutions from both sides of the Atlantic. Participants will attend a two-day intensive training session designed for future leaders in academic hepatology. The program will consist of academic lectures, interactive break-out sessions, individual meetings with tutors, abstract presentations and a poster session, and social events to give early-stage investigators (MD, PhD, or MD/PhD, or equivalent) the opportunity to network with world leaders in hepatology.
This year’s program is hosted by AASLD and will be held in the U.S.A.
- AASLD covers complimentary registration and accommodation expenses for all participants.
- Participants are selected through a competitive application process. AASLD and EASL run separate applications. Prospective students should only apply once through their main host organization. The application period is May 4 – June 15, 2021.
- AASLD will provide travel expenses for up to 15 early career investigators who are AASLD members (based in North America). Look for details on how to apply below.
- EASL will provide travel expenses for up to 10 early career investigators who are EASL members. EASL members looking to apply to their 10 spots should visit EASL’s website and contact email@example.com with any questions.
The AASLD/EASL Masterclass will be held in-person and is currently scheduled to be held December 10-12, 2021 in the United States. As healthcare professionals and scientists learn more about the evolution of the COVID virus and the safety of travel and gathering, plans for Masterclass are subject to change, including but not limited to the scheduled dates and location. AASLD and EASL will provide up-to-date information on websites and via email. Be sure to mark AASLD and EASL as a trusted contact in your email.
- Laurie D. DeLeve, MD, PhD, FAASLD — AASLD
- Pierre-Emmanuel Rautou, MD — EASL
- Norah Terrault, MD, FAASLD— AASLD
- Ulrich Beuers, MD — EASL
AASLD MASTERCLASS APPLICATION PROCESS
- Must meet all eligibility criteria, adhere to all application instructions and submit by 11:59 pm ET, June 15, 2021. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
- Selection notifications for this opportunity will be sent no later than August 31, 2021.
- For members of EASL looking to apply to the 2021 Masterclass please visit EASL’s Masterclass webpage and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
To be eligible for this award, the applicant must fulfill all of the following criteria.
- Reside in the United States, Canada or Mexico and be a full member in good standing of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of submission of the application and maintain their membership through the event.
- Be a Junior Faculty member (First Year Instructor - Assistant Professor or equivalent) within the first 5 years of their first faculty appointment at a medical or research institution within North America (US, Canada or Mexico) at the time of application.
- Be an investigator with a highly promising record demonstrated by one of the following:
- Received awards during training e.g. ALF Post-doctoral fellow award, ALF Liver Scholar Award, and/or Advanced Hepatology Fellowship Award and/or
- Received a major independent or mentored external research grant award from a federal agency (e.g., NIH, AHRQ, CDC, PCORI, VA, NSF, CIHR, or equivalent) or Foundation (e.g., AASLD, AGA, ACG, ALF), including K01, K08, K23, KL2, K12, K99/R00, R21, or equivalent awards and/or
- Received investigator-initiated support from industry4.The applicant must be committed to and demonstrate success
- Be committed to and demonstrate success as an early career investigator focused on basic, translational or clinical science.
- Submit an abstract for presentation at the Masterclass. The abstract may be previously published and if selected for Masterclass the applicant may be asked to present as a poster or in an oral session.
- Previous Masterclass attendees (Masterclass alumni) cannot attend again. Previous applicants that were not selected to attend a Masterclass are welcome to apply if they still meet the eligibility criteria